Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Flash Fiction - It's Gonna Be Love

Alright, now I've never written flash fiction either, but as I am currently blocked on my dystopian novel, I thought a quick change of pace might help me get the creative juices flowing.

Chuck Wendig at Terrible Minds posts flash fiction challenges.  This week's is to get a random song and use its title as the title of your story.  1000 words.

Full post here - http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/10/18/flash-fiction-challenge-random-song-title/

I pulled up my Pandora and "It's Gonna Be Love" by Mandy Moore from the A Walk to Remember soundtrack popped up first.

It's Gonna Be Love

Hadia stared at the screen, displaying numerous charts and graphs in front of her.  The problems were too vast to solve, but she had to.  The leadership was crumbling, the people were dying, and she was prophesized to hold the answer.

“2500 children were murdered yesterday.  1350 adults were imprisoned for crimes they likely did not commit.   The murderers still run free.  What is the answer?  How do you change the world in one day?”  She slammed her fist on the desk.  “Damnit! I can’t do this.  I need a drink.”

Hadia opened the refrigerator.  Bottled water, soda, beer.  That wouldn’t do.  She needed something stronger.  She grabbed her keys and headed to the car.  Thinking better of it, she signaled a cab.

The bar was dark, lonely drinkers scattered throughout.  No one spoke.  She sat down at the bar and caught the eye of the bartender.  “Rum and coke.”

He poured her drink and slid it to her, looking at her with curiosity.  “What’s a purty girl like you doin’ here in the middle of the day?”

“Trying to save the world.”  She downed her drink.

“Heh, ain’t we all, sugar.”

“Another.”

She picked up her drink and found a corner table to sit at in silence.  Lost in thought, she didn’t see the man approach her table.

“Seat taken?”

She looked up.  He was tall, with black eyes and hair.  He wore a black coat and hat.  Everything about him screamed, “I’m dangerous.”  She knew she should turn him away, but she was drawn to him in a way she couldn’t explain. “No, go ahead.”

He sat and placed his hat on the table.  “Luthando.”

“Hadia.”

“You’re struggling with something.”

“Quite the genius, figuring out that someone in a bar is struggling.”

“No, your struggle isn’t like the others here. Your struggle is critical.”

Hadia looked at Luthando, wondering how he could possibly know that.  “Who are you?”

“Luthando.”

“Not your name. Who are you?”

“It’s not important. What is important is that I know what you are struggling with.  I know how to help you.”

“How do you know?”

“Not important.  Come with me.”

“Why would I follow you?”

“Because you see something in me too.  You know there is something special about me.  You know I can help you.”

“There’s something special, yes, but I’m not sure it’s good. I don’t believe it will help me.”

“I see you’ve made your choice.  Soon, you will change your mind.”  He stood up, placed his hat back on his head, and left the bar.

“What the hell?” Hadia muttered under her breath.  She finished her drink and left.  The sun was much brighter than she recalled.  She signaled a cab and gave her address.  When she arrived home, she saw a dark figure through her window and froze.

“You okay, Miss?” the cab driver asked.

She nodded, paid the man, and walked toward her house, eyes never leaving the figure in her window.  She opened the door slowly and called out, “I know you’re in here. I’m armed. Don’t try anything.”

“You’re not armed. And if you were, your aim would be terrible.”

She recognized the voice.  It was the man from the bar.  “Why are you following me? How do you know where I live?”

“Not important.  Are you ready to let me help you now?”

“No. Absolutely not. I cannot trust you to help when you won’t answer any of my questions.”

“The only question that matters is how to solve this problem, how to save the world.”

Hadia froze.  “Are you? You can’t be.”

“I can, I might be, I am, and I’m not – all at once.”

“What? You’re trying to confuse me. I won’t let you harm me.”

“I would never harm you. I would never harm anyone. That isn’t the answer.”

“Then what is?”

“You must find that for yourself, but I can help you.”

Hadia approached the man, standing at the window.  “And how is that?”

“First, you must trust me.”

“Fine, I trust you.”

“No, you must really trust me.  Show me.  Tell me your problem.”

She rolled her eyes and took a seat at her computer.  “Fine. The world is facing total destruction. The leadership is failing. The people are dying. Those who remain are revolting. The end is near. Is that what you wanted to hear?”

“No, I never want to hear such horrible truths, but it’s what you needed to hear.  What’s the problem?”

“I just told you.”

“No, Hadia, you listed the symptoms.  What is the problem?”

“I don’t know!”

“How can you solve a problem when you don’t know what it is?”

Hadia looked at him, her curiosity growing. “I don’t know.”

“Think, dear; think.”

Hadia sighed. “I need to determine the link between the symptoms. I need to find the common cause.”

“Yes, keep going.”

Hadia stood and began pacing around the room.  “The people revolt out of fear. Fear caused by murders. Murders happen because the leadership doesn’t know how to stop them.”

“Further.”

“The leadership doesn’t know how to stop them because,” she trailed off.  “I have no idea.”

“Go back to the beginning.”

“The beginning?”

“The beginning of the leadership.”

“The leadership came to be because of the wars.  Everyone was fighting, no one even realized the changes.”

“Yes, you’re nearly there now. What caused the wars?”

“Disagreements. Everyone wanted their own way. No one understood the other points of view.”

“More.”

“No one tried to understand the other points of view. Everyone was too self-centered, too selfish, too full of hate.”

“That’s it.”

“The problem is hate?”

“How do you defeat hate?”

“Love. The answer is love.”

“It always is.”

Hadia jumped to hug the man before her, but as she wrapped her arms around him, he disappeared.  She was unsure if he was ever there at all, but now she had her answer.  To solve the problems of the world, she needed to find a way to spread love.

No comments:

Post a Comment